Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Would I be guilty if I confessed to a crime but the other party didn’t want to press charges?

The other people in the party do not want to press charges.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    The victims do not have a choice. The crime is not against them but against the peace and dignity of the State. They can be subpoeaned to court and compelled to testify against you willing or not.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/21/2013
    Victor Rivera | Rivera Legal Group, PLLC
    1011 Surrey Lane
    Flower Mound, TX 75022
    (214) 646-3236
    In order to successful charge you, the prosecutor must present the complainant to testify against you. There is a saying, "No complainant, no complaint." However, if you confessed to the crime through a voluntary statement and you waived your rights to keep silent per the Fifth Amendment, then yes the prosecutor can continue to prosecute you because you gave them their case.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    That's irrelevant. The DA will charge you regardless of how the victim feels. It's all about stats for them my friend.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If they refuse to come to court and testify or cooperate then maybe you will not be prosecuted.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Patrick Owen Earl | Patrick Earl Attorney
    1334 S. Pioneer Way
    Moses Lake, WA 98837
    (509) 750-9921
    Confession are a way that a person can be found guilty of a crime and so you need to be represented by an experienced defense attorney on this matter. If this is an Eastern WA state matter contact me. I can help.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 1/17/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.