Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Will my FOID card be no longer valid after I get married and change my name?

My FOID card does not expire for 5 more years but I will be changing my name this year. I legally own a gun and want to know what I need to do after getting married to ensure I will continue to legally own my gun. I don't want to get in trouble for failing to get a new FOID card or fill out some paperwork or something.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John Toivonen | Toivonen Law Office
    PO Box 15174
    Lansing, MI 48933
    (517) 402-5229
    I suspect that you are a middle class person who lives in the suburbs and has never been arrested. If you want to keep it that way, pay attention. While Michigan and many other states allow people to carry pistols, there are many requirements that a person must follow. No one should attempt to purchase a pistol without consulting with an attorney. I know, this is an advertisement for our profession. But the consequences of violating the laws can be severe. People who are convicted of carrying illegally concealed deadly weapons can go to prison. As to out of state residents carrying pistols, in Michigan there are at least 10 requirement that apply to you. There could be more requirements depending on how you count them. I can see no requirement that relates to how a name change will have an effect on your status. But it makes sense that you would update your information with the government. As to figuring out Michigan law on this matter, would you bet your home mortgage or your freedom that you comprehend every one of the requirements and how they relate to your situation? Hire a Michigan attorney to review you status. If you do not hire one now, you may end up hiring one to represent you in criminal court, and that will be stressful and much more expensive. I handle most aspects of criminal law, and my favorite area for middle class people is compliance. Compliance is far less stressful and less expensive.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/6/2013
    Brendan M. Kelly | Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    1700 Farnam Street, Suite 2820
    Omaha, NE 68102
    (402) 455-1711
    You should be able to change the name to your new name.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska - Replied: 3/6/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.