Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Will I lose my children if I go to jail?

I might be going to jail next month. What will happen to my kids? Can they stay with a friend or will they go to DCFS?

    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    They will go to the State if there is no one to take care of them in the meantime.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/4/2013
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Steve Freeborn | Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    33400 9th Avenue S. Suite 208
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-4477
    Since you don't tell me what you were convicted of or how long your jail sentence is, or how old the children are. I have no way of knowing. It is a possibility.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 2/1/2013
    Gregory R. LaMarca, P.C.
    Gregory R. LaMarca | Gregory R. LaMarca, P.C.
    5440 Merrick Road
    Massapequa, NY 11758
    (516) 797-8686
    The best thing you can do for the children is to (temporarily) appoint a trusted relative or friend a Guardian for the children. This can be accomplished through the Family Court.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/1/2013
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    If you do not make arrangements for them, they will be placed in DFACS to be temporarily placed.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 2/1/2013
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    If you provide a safe environment for them while you are in custody (such as with family), then you should not have a problem.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 2/1/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB SITE IS A GROUP ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. It is not a lawyer referral service or prepaid legal services plan. Total Criminal Defense is not a law firm. Your request for contact will be forwarded to the local lawyer who has paid to advertise in the ZIP code you provide. Total Criminal Defense does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who participates in the network. It does not make any representation and has not made any judgment as to the qualifications, expertise or credentials of any participating lawyer. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The information contained herein is not legal advice. Any information you submit to Total Criminal Defense may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. All photos are of models and do not depict clients. All case evaluations are performed by participating attorneys. An attorney responsible for the content of this Site is Kevin W. Chern, Esq., licensed in Illinois with offices at 25 East Washington, Suite 510, Chicago, Illinois 60602. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here or call 866-200-8052.

FLORIDA ONLY: Total Criminal Defense is considered a lawyer referral service in the state of Florida under the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct. By all other standards, Total Criminal Defense is a group advertisement and not a lawyer referral service.

If you live in Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here