Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Will I get tried as an adult?

I'm 17 and was arrested for possession of coke - not a lot- like 1.8 oz. Will they try me as an adult or will I just go to juvy like before? Should I get a lawyer? How much does that cost and will I have to pay if I'm under 18?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    First of all, it is a second offense. Second, that is a lot of coke and you are probably charged with PL 220.16 possession with intent to sell, a B felony that carried up to 9 years in prison. On a second felony it's mandatory prison term. You need to get a good drug lawyer and stop selling drugs or you are going to ruin your life and end up doing 3 years in prison .
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    In Michigan if you are 17 then you get tried as an adult. It ends up on your adult record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    I would expect you may be treated as an adult. Consider hiring an attorney for this one.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/26/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Unless you have previously been prosecuted in criminal court, or unless the prosecution moves to waive jurisdiction from juvenile criminal Court, then you would probably be prosecuted in juvenile court. Regardless, an attorney can assist you in evaluating the prosecutions evidence, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, in deciding whether to plea bargain or go to trial. Even if you are found guilty, an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and it recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/24/2013
    Melissa Smejkal | Law Office of Melissa Smejkal
    1328 W 18th Street
    Chicago, IL 60608
    (312) 968-2479
    That is a large amount, do you mean 1.8 grams? You are looking at prison especially since its not your first case.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 1/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.