Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Will I be sent to prison for stealing a car?

I spent 3 days in county and I have court coming up. I didn't steal the car but my friend did and I'm in trouble too now. can I just get off with probation for this? I only have one other charge and it's an old weed possession charge from 2005.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. The short answer is yes as you can also be charged with grand theft auto either as a principle or as an accessory, both of which are felonies with potential jail sentences of at least 1 to 3 years. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    If convicted of grand theft auto you are looking at the following: PC 487. Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases: (d) When the property taken is any of the following: (1) An automobile, horse, mare, gelding, any bovine animal, any caprine animal, mule, jack, jenny, sheep, lamb, hog, sow, boar, gilt, barrow, or pig. 489. Grand theft is punishable as follows: (b) In all other cases, by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    Sounds like you will not, no guarantees, but in Alameda County you would not be going to prison unless there is something you have not told me like a car chase or major damages to the car.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    The honest answer is that no attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, police reports, expected testimony, priors history, defenses, sympathies, etc. But, you obviously know that every crime carries potential jail or prison upon conviction. You'll learn the actual charge[s] filed and any enhancements, priors, or violations alleged, and get copies of all the police reports and prosecutors? evidence when appearing for arraignment at the first court hearing. The charges actually filed by the prosecutor will determine how much time could potentially be imposed. In California, if convicted of any felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison, plus fines; on any misdemeanor, you potentially face up to 12 months in jail, plus fines. Priors and strikes will add formal penalty enhancements and affect the prosecutor and judge attitude toward you. If this constitutes a probation violation, factor those new violation charge[s] and old deferred sentence[s] in as well. When questioned, arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? While this isn't a 'capital case', it certainly carries potential jail or prison time, so handle it right. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or elsewhere are going to effectively help in a legal defense. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/12/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Not enough information. However, there may be some difficulty in convicting you of the theft. Have long talk with your attorney about the facts and the law.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/12/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.