Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Will domestic violence charges be dropped if the victim does not show up to court?

My sister was actually charged with domestic violence against her boyfriend and we know that no matter what he says, the DA isn't dropping the charges because he already asked for them to be dropped. Does it make a difference if her boyfriend doesn't show up to court when he is supposed to? Can he get in trouble for that?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Mel Dunn | Mel Dunn
    100 N. Center
    Casper, WY 82601
    (307) 267-7758
    If the victim does not show up in Court, the case is not automatically dropped. The reason is that all charges are brought in the name of the State or City and not the victim. If the victim receives a subpoena for a court appearance and fails to appear, the Court may issue an arrest warrant.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming - Replied: 3/19/2013
    Christopher G Humphrey | Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC
    P.O. Box 4216
    Cheyenne, WY 82003
    (307) 222-2448
    They will attempt to try the case without the victim. They will not usually dismiss the case. They may issue a warrant for contempt of court or failure to appear.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming - Replied: 3/18/2013
    Nathaniel Shafer | Natty Shafer Law
    717 South 300 West, Suite B
    Salt Lake City, UT 84101
    (801) 450-2584
    He could get in trouble for not showing up, depending on the prosecutor. It is hard to say whether or not the charges will be dropped without knowing what physical evidence and other evidence is available. Regardless, though, it will make your sister's case at least a little stronger if the boyfriend decides not to show.
    Answer Applies to: Utah - Replied: 3/18/2013
    Randy M. Lish | Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law
    2155 N. Freedom Blvd.
    Provo, UT 84604
    (801) 235-9400
    Not necessarily. The victim's statements to police can still be used as evidence.
    Answer Applies to: Utah - Replied: 3/18/2013
    Steve Freeborn | Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    33400 9th Avenue S. Suite 208
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-4477
    Yes, the BF can get in trouble if he does not show up in response to a subpoena. If he does not show, the prosecutor could ask for a material witness warrant, which means the police could go out and pick him up and bring him to court. If he doesn't show up he could also be charged with filing a false police report. He could also be fined the costs that the City/State has spent pursuing the charges. DV cases are serious. Police officers hate responding to them because they do not know how volatile the situation is they are responding to. More officers are hurt responding to DV calls than any other police call. The BF needs to deal with it and not ignore it.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 3/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.