Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Who can be charged with criminal child neglect?

My lease expired about a month ago, so I chose to move in with my sister, who has an 8 month old daughter. Recently, the police came by to pick her up because the father reported that there was neglect occurring in the apartment. Since I have been living here, is there a possibility that I can also be charged with neglect? I am really worried that the police are going to hold me accountable. There was one instance where my sister slipped while holding her daughter, but that was an accident. He claims that she was not being properly nourished, amongst other things.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    Who can be charged? Anyone responsible for the child, or in charge at the time. If you end up being questioned, a little free advice: exercise the 5th Amendment right and do not talk to police or anyone about the case except with and through an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/29/2013
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    You should retain an attorney immediately to represent you. You say the police "picked up" your daughter. If so she must be the subject of juvenile proceedings. You need an attorney and if you cannot afford one I would contact your local court appointed program.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/29/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    If you are in a position of caring for the child, there is a small possibility that you may be held accountable also. However, since it was your sister that was arrested, I strongly suggest that she retain an attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/28/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    There would have to be proof that you somehow neglected or abused your sister's child. That may be dirty home, like a hoarder, not taking care or feeding or medical needs for the child. If your sister dropped the child, that would be more of physical abuse, and since it is accidental it is not likely you would not be charged unless they have proof you dropped the child not your sister. It is more likely that cps would begin an investigation, noncriminal, to see if the court needs to intervene or if her ex files for custody.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/28/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Being charged and convicted are two different things. Suggest you have nothing to say to cops/cps, especially if they seem accusatory as to you
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/28/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.