Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What is the worst that can happen to my friend for assaulting a police officer?

He's going to court Monday and we have no idea what to be expecting. Basically he got in a fight with another dude and a police officer tried to break it up and he jacked the police guy in the face. I don't think he meant it but I doubt that matters.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John Hugger | Attorney & Counselor at Law
    3002 Evergreen Parkway
    Evergreen, CO 80437-0877
    (303) 670-1043
    It is likely that he is facing a mandatory term in prison if he loses. Consult an attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 4/29/2013
    Vincent C. Machroli | Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
    High Point Plaza
    Hillside, IL 60162-1949
    (708) 449-7400
    A skilled criminal defense attorney would need to discuss this matter with your friend in greater detail, & ask him many questions, in order to give him the proper legal advice he needs (& possibly a quote to represent him). He should schedule a consultation ASAP. Once the case is resolved to his satisfaction, he'll be glad he paid the money to hire an attorney & properly protect his legal rights.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/28/2013
    David Harrison | Miller & Harrison, LLC
    2305 Broadway
    Boulder, CO 80304
    (303) 449-2830
    Assault on a police officer is a very serious offense depending on exactly how it is charged. It can carry mandatory prison time, but depending on a number of things it is sometimes plea bargained out to some other charge with an agreed upon sentence which could be probation. It depends a lot on the persons prior criminal record, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 4/26/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    You are right, it makes no difference, if he hit the officer while trying to hit another "dude", he is guilty of the criminal act of battery, and can be convicted of it. Depending on the severity of the injury inflicted on the officer, the jail sentence could be short, or lengthy. Depending on the judge or prosecutor, the friend could possibly be given some form if probation, with additional conditions, such as community service or counselling, added.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/26/2013
    Brian Karpe | Baram, Tapper & Gans, LLC
    3 Regency Drive
    Bloomfield, CT 06006
    (860) 242-2221
    Assaulting a police officer is a serious offense in that it is a C felony which carries up to 10 years of incarceration, some of which may be a mandatory prison sentence. Your friend needs a criminal defense attorney immediately, best if retained before court. This is a very serious charge.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut - Replied: 4/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.