Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What will happen if I wrote a check to myself for $400 and withdrew $100?

I deposited a $400 check that I wrote to myself and withdrew $100. Am I in trouble and if so what can happen? I'm paying the money tomorrow.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    This is called check kiting if there were no real funds deposited. It is a crime. Get a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/16/2013
    Robert Scott | Law office of Robert D. Scott
    PO Box 247
    Mount Rainier, MD 20712
    (301) 864-8611
    If you knew you did not have the money when you deposited the check, you could be prosecuted for Bank Fraud , which is a Felony.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 2/15/2013
    John Hugger | Attorney & Counselor at Law
    3002 Evergreen Parkway
    Evergreen, CO 80437-0877
    (303) 670-1043
    If it was on your own account and you had sufficient funds - no problem.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 2/15/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    Pay the money back right away, if the checking account was closed or did not have funds to cover the amount withdrawn. You engaged in check kiting, which is a form of theft by deception, which could end up in being made into a criminal charge against you. In no case, don't try this trick again.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 2/14/2013
    Marshall Tauber | Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    39520 Woodward Ave., Suite 230
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
    (877) 682-8237
    Your check might bounce or you might get an overdraft notice from your bank and be charged a fee for having insufficient funds in your account at the time the check was paid. This is not a criminal act it is a stupid financial decision that can be reported on your credit history and cost you unnecessary banking fees.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 2/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.