Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What is the statute of limitations for reporting abuse in California?

My friend was abused by her step father when she was a kid, she says from about age 5-11. She's 18 now and wants to report him but we weren't sure if it has been too long since it happened.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    If it is sexual abuse you normally has one year from when she turns 18 but there are other exceptions to the normal 10 statute of limitations too. She need to make a decision and do it.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/15/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Depends on the abuse. Probably within the limit for both civil and criminal purposes. Definitely so if of a sexual nature. See cops.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    She has until her 26th birthday to file a civil lawsuit against him. Like any plaintiff, she will need to prove her claims somehow. She can also file criminal charges now. If she is serious about doing so, go to the police and file. They will decide if they are willing to press charges, based upon the evidence and facts she provides.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    I would need to look this up to be sure, but I believe it is not too late to report it. When you say "abused" I assume you mean sexually abused. Report it; if it is too late you will be told, but as I say, I don't think so. If she is going to do it, do so before she turns 19.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    I am not sure what you mean by reporting abuse. If you want him criminally charged it may be too late. If you want to sue him for damages, and he has some money or assets you have until she is at least 19.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.