Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What should I do if my wife and I are being accused of theft by receiving stolen property?

I received an email from someone that my wife and I went to high school with saying that he had some old appliances and electronics that they wanted to sell. My wife and I went a few weeks back to check the stuff out and something seemed sketchy. Why was he trying to sell all of this stuff? It looked brand new. My wife bought his ipod nano off him because it looked somewhat used. One thing lead to another and I told my wife to return it. When she plugged it into the computer, someone else's information was on the device. The guy refused to take it back. Next thing I know, the cops show up at my place and now we're being charged with theft by receiving property. We aren't burglars.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You should retain a good criminal lawyer to handle the case. IIf you knew or should have knownthat hte merchandise was stolen you are guilty od possession of stolen property aand I hope you did not admit to the police where you got it, what you suspected, what you paid, and who you bought it from. That is all evidence they needed to convict you and I'm pretty sure they asked and you both told them. That means your lawyer has less bargaining power and they can easily convict you so they are less likely to offer a plea to Petty Larceny. If they did not have a warrant and you did not consent to a search the search may be illegal and the evidence could be suppressed. You should have been thinking of your constitutional rights, the rights of the poor person who was burglarized, and the thief you were helping to fence the stolen merchandise. What you don't know will hurt you and you should learn to tell the poilce, "I want a lawyer and I want the questioning to stop, I will not consent to a search".
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    Receiving stolen property can result in a person seemingly harmlessly purchasing property from another that has been stolen, even if the purchaser knows nothing about the stolen property. This is a good time to secure counsel and see if the charges can be resolved without conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    I would get a lawyer and fight the charges. If you did not know the stuff was stolen then you are not guilty.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    You need an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/24/2013
    Randy W. Ferguson | Ferguson & Ferguson
    303 Williams Avenue SW Ste 321
    Huntsville, AL 35801
    (256) 534-3435
    Turn him in and help the police. Maybe they will dismiss your case.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.