Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What should I do if my trial judge refuses to appoint counsel for my appeal?

I have been declared indigent and was appointed an attorney for trial. My financial situation has not changed. The judge used the same financial information that was used for the trial. My court appointed attorney incorrectly quit immediately after filing the "Intent to Pursue Post-conviction Relief" motion. I filed a motion for "Post-conviction Relief Pending Appeal". The judged denied it. I served a 60 day jail term and then filed a "Motion to Appoint an Attorney". The judge denied it. Should I petition the appellate court to get an attorney? I don't know what to do.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Either retain an attorney, or get ready to represent yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 2/28/2014
    Steve Freeborn | Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    33400 9th Avenue S. Suite 208
    Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-4477
    Sorry....don't have enough info to answer.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 2/25/2014
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    The right to counsel does not always extend to appeals. You probably do not have the right to appointed free counsel. Contact your bar association to find pro bono counsel.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/25/2014
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.