Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What should I do if I’m charged with a theft that I did not commit?

Police came to my house and arrested me for stealing the neighbors yard gnome. I have no idea why they would think I took it. They did not search my house and didn't mention having any proof and since I didn't take it, I can't imagine what proof they would have. I assume the neighbor is just blaming me for their gnome being missing but I'm at a loss for what to do.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    They had some evidence to arrest you, possibly a witness lied. You should retain a good criminal lawyer and tell him the truth.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/23/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You have to get a lawyer and make them prove you are guilty by going to trial.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/31/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    If charged, exercise right to be silent and right to an attorney. In the meantime, say nothing to nobody about the accusation. By what you stated, there is only suspicion. If you are questioned and admit it for whatever reason, then you have them cause to be charged. Say nothing to your neighbor.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/30/2013
    Eric S. Lumberg | Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg
    7001 Orchard Lake Rd.
    West Bloomfield, MI 48322
    (248) 626-8383
    Hire an attorney to represent you. Look at all possible defenses and options to resolve the case.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/29/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Anyone accused of committing a crime should obtain counsel.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/29/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.