Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What should I do if I missed a court appearance?

I have a bad habit of not opening my mail right away and letting it pile up on my kitchen table. So I missed the letter with my court date and didn't see it until the date had passed. What should I do?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Get an attorney and go to court with that person. Get a date.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/19/2013
    15324 MACK AVENUE
    (313) 640-8917
    call the court clerk and see if there is a warrant for your arrest (criminal matter) or default (civil matter). if warrant arrange to turn yourself in - make sure you ask how much the bond is so you can bring it with you and bond yourself out. if civil prep and file a motion to set aside default with an affidavit of meritorious defenses to the claims against you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/18/2013
    Timothy J. Klisz | Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    39111 W. Six Mile Rd.
    Livonia, MI 48152
    (313) 402-0853
    Hire an attorney who might be able to undo the damage. There may well be a warrant out for your arrest. Take action quickly.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/18/2013
    Anthony M. Salerno | Salerno Law Group
    306 Main Street
    Worcester, MA 01608
    (508) 795-1200
    There is a strong possibility that a default warrant was issued for you not appearing. You should get to the Court as soon as possible to have the warrant recalled. If you were to be picked up on the default warrant, you may be held without bail. It is always better to address this oversight yourself, rather than after being picked up on a default. Contact an experienced criminal attorney soon.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 3/18/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    You can search court records at, in order to find out whether you have a bench warrant. If you do, you can ask the court to recall the warrant. If the court denies your request, then you are supposed to surrender. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 3/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.