Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What should I do if I have a warrant out in a different state than the one I’m living in?

Should I drive back to the state where the warrant is and turn myself in there? Or, should I turn myself in to the state where I am currently living? I am worried that if I get pulled over and they see that I have a warrant out, I am going to get into more trouble. I feel like they are going to think I am trying to run away or something.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    You must go to the state and the court where the warrant was issued in order to take care of it.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/19/2013
    John D Duncan | Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC
    2 W Washington Street
    Newnan, GA 30263
    (770) 253-7778
    If you get pulled in your home state, the officer could bring you in based upon the out-of-state warrant and have you transported to the jurisdiction of the warrant. You are better off going to the origination point of the warrant and turning yourself in there.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 3/19/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Practices vary from state to state and even with in regions of a single state. You need someone who is familiar with the local practices. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 3/19/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Get an attorney in the State where the warrant is from. Go with that lawyer and turn your self in.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 3/19/2013
    Jason Savela | Connell-Savela
    250 Arapahoe Avenue, Suite 301
    Boulder, CO 80302
    (303) 865-4545
    Not all warrants are nationwide. The more serious offense, the more likely it will be nationwide. Often, traffic and even DUI cases are not nationwide. You should be able to call the clerk of the court where the case is and ask about the amount of the warrant and whether it is nationwide or statewide. Just say you want to get it resolved, but need to know if you should turn yourself in where you live or return to the home state. If the clerk is mean, they might not give you the info. Be polite and you will get further. Sometimes, a lawyer can help you deal with a case without your return to the state. It depends on the type of case.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 3/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.