Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What is the punishment for a first time offense of retail theft for someone under eighteen?

I was wrongly charged with a class D felony for retail theft by deception instead of being charged for a class A misdemeanor. The retailer double counted the dollar amount in cash I was given for a return and then counted the dollar amount for the items I also returned, that they claim was not their merchandise and was return theft.

If I gave them the amount of cash they gave me back for the return, I would have essentially bought the items again. They can't originally charge me with double the amount, even though if the fines could be doubled, I understand. What kind of trouble am I looking at and how can I get this charge lowered to the misdemeanor that it should have been and prove that the store added the erroneously stolen amount twice?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You need an attorney to help you with this. You want to get the police report and a listing of all the items involved and let the lawyer see that.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/18/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    If you believe the charge is incorrect, you need an attorney. Do not provide a statement to anyone. Your age if you have no prior adult convictions can be addressed and sentencing alternatives sought by an attorney. You do not need a felony record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/16/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    In juvenile court you might be committed to the Department of juvenile services until you are 18. That commitment might be extended until age 21. If you have previously been adjudicated in criminal court, or if the prosecution persuades the juvenile court to waive its jurisdiction to the criminal court, then you would face the usual criminal penalties. In Maryland the maximum penalty depends on the amount that the item taken was worth.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 4/15/2013
    Timothy J. Klisz | Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    39111 W. Six Mile Rd.
    Livonia, MI 48152
    (313) 402-0853
    Get a lawyer on board ASAP. This is a serious matter and these facts are vital to your defense.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/15/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.