Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What is the penalty for perjury?

My husband has recently been charged with assault on our neighbor. We moved here in November of 2012 and have continuously been harassed by her and her daughter. There are police reports that date back a couple of years or more stating that she harassed all others who have lived here as well. We are determined to see that she pays for lying under oath and making her answer for her lies because this has really taken a toll on our family as a whole. We have never been through this before and we wonder each day if we have any rights here and most importantly, if there is anything that we can do legally to protect our rights, innocence, privacy, and sanity. She has told our landlord several other lies about us that would hurt our reputation. Is it possible for us to file criminal charges on her for what she has put us through, not including the addition of a criminal charge on my husband's record, simply because the charge was filed?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Fight the matter and then go to the police after you get an acquittal on the charges against your husband. Remember it is convictions not arrests that count on a record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/18/2013
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    I doubt that you can file a criminal complaint, but it is at least possible. However, you may have valid civil claims for defamation, harassment, interference with contractual relations (with your landlord) and others. I suggest that you immediately retain legal counsel to represent you. You should not handle this on your own. In cases like this, law enforcement will not usually protect you even if you file a complaint-that is why you need to retain your own lawyer. You lawyer can move for an order of protection and otherwise bring suit to press civil charges against your neighbor. Meanwhile, all of this is relevant to your husband's assault case-both you and your husband should retain legal counsel as soon as possible to handle these matters. Unfortunately, this will be expensive but you really have no choice. We are available to represent you should you choose to retain use.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/15/2013
    Thomas E. Gates | Gates' Law, PLLC
    651 Strander Blvd., Suite 209
    Tukwila, WA 98188-2953
    (253) 332-7899
    You need to obtain a no contact order.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/15/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.