Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What options does my neighbor have when he is being accused of a crime that he did not commit and has a rock solid alibi?

My neighbor, “John Doe”, was incorrectly identified, arrested and charged with theft of flat screen TV’s despite the fact he has a rock solid alibi - he was at work 50 miles away from the crime scene and has witnesses who will confirm that fact. He was also accused of selling stolen goods to a pawn shop, despite the fact that the pawn shop surveillance cameras have no video footage of him and no written records of him ever selling anything. He stopped by my house yesterday and we talked for a while about his predicament. His frustration level is understandably high especially since his fingerprints and DNA are now part of a criminal database. I have no idea how the criminal justice system works once someone files a police report accusing an individual of a crime. Absent the accuser's knowledge of the accused individual's DOB, SSN, or current address how do the police pick the correct suspect from their database(s)? In this case the accuser named a “John G. Doe” as the culprit. My neighbor has no middle name or middle initial. The police/prosecutor refuse to admit a mistake was made and my neighbor must continue with the costly and humiliating process of going to court to clear his name. What are his options?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Don't play investigator. Know this: POLICE ARE NOT IDIOTS. Your neighbor may be charged as party to the crime, which means he targets the home, and arranges the sale of stolen property but does not enter the property or fence the property. However, when the persons who are on tape pawning are interviewed, and give up your neighbors name, then your neighbor is in it, despite his ROCK SOLID ALIBI.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 4/13/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 4/12/2013
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You must retain a good criminal lawyer, tell him the truth (most criminals lie to their lawyer at first making things more difficult), and let him handle the case and advise you or get a public defender if you are indigent.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/12/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    He is going to have to go to court in order to clear the matter up. But if it is obvious that the police were doing this wrong. Maybe he can sue them.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/11/2013
    Mark A. Manning | Mark A. Manning, PC.
    213 Paw Paw Street
    Paw Paw, MI 49079
    (269) 657-3191
    He really needs to obtain competent legal counsel to represent him. The justice system can and does make mistakes and he has to protect his interests.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/11/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.