Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What kind of time am I looking at for the possession of heroin?

I was recently caught with a small bag of heroin. I have a clean record for the most part, and this is my first drug offense. I'm not a bad person, just got caught up in something I shouldn't have been involved in. What kind of time would I be looking at if convicted?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    In Michigan you may be able for a diversion program that would avoid you having a felony conviction on your record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/3/2013
    Dennis John Woods | Dennis John Woods, Attorney at Law
    2479 Astoria Blvd.
    Canton, MI 48188
    (734) 340-3630
    Get a good lawyer and if you have no priors, you will probably wind up with probation.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/3/2013
    Craig Andersen | Andersen Law PLLC
    10000 NE 7th Ave Suite 330B
    Vancouver, WA 98685
    (360) 397-0111
    In the State of Washington, we use a Determinate Sentencing system. Actual time in custody depends on two factors. The first is the seriousness level of the offence. That gives us one axis of the sentencing formula. The other axis is the sentenced person's felony history. These two figures go together to arrive at an "Offender Score." The Offender Score and the Seriousness Level of the crime provide a "Standard Sentencing Range." The Standard Senencing Range is a range of months. If this is your first felony charge, the court could use the "First-Time Offender" sentencing option. Under the First Time Offender Waiver, the standard range is 0 to 90 days. On a first-time conviction for drug possession, most people receive a small sentence. The key to the situation is your addiction. The best way for you to mitigate your situation is to get a substance abuse evaluation and get yourself into treatment. Heroin is one of the hardest drugs to kick. This is because it involves a physical and psychological addiction. You must know that getting clean and sober is hard work. But make no mistake about this, it is worth the effort. Sobriety is a beautiful thing. It is a prize well worth pursuit. You may get discouraged. You may relapse. That is part of recovery. But you must get an evaluation and get into treatment. If you are uninsured or indigent, you need to look into ADATSA funding. You can learn more about ADATSA by visiting the Washington State DSHS web site. You may also have a legitimate defense to the criminal charge.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/3/2013
    James A Schoenberger | Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    1008 Yakima Ave Ste 201
    Tacoma, WA 98405
    (253) 444-3111
    0 to 6 months with no prior felonies drug court and treatment are options.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/3/2013
    John Toivonen | Toivonen Law Office
    PO Box 15174
    Lansing, MI 48933
    (517) 402-5229
    First, you must be convicted. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If sentenced, it depends on the amount of the drug and your prior criminal record. Possession of any amount of heroin carries a maximum penalty of 4 years in prison. Possession of more than 50 grams can result in a 20 year sentence. Do not speak to the police or anyone else until you can you have retained an attorney. I defend people on heroin charges, and I am available for a free consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.