Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What happens when you are subpoenaed and you do not show up?

I failed to appear for a misdemeanor charge or case. I am not entirely sure whether the case has ended or was dismissed. I considered contacting the court but I am worried about the repercussions. They are going to know that I didn't show up and I do not want to get arrested or go to jail or something.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    James A Schoenberger | Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    1008 Yakima Ave Ste 201
    Tacoma, WA 98405
    (253) 444-3111
    If you failed to appear, it is likely a bench warrant for your arrest was issued. Call the court and see because it is for better to quash the warrant than to be picked up and spend a night in jail before appearing in front of the court.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/23/2013
    Craig Andersen | Andersen Law PLLC
    10000 NE 7th Ave Suite 330B
    Vancouver, WA 98685
    (360) 397-0111
    The court may issue what is called a "material witness warrant." This is an order to arrest the person subpoenaed and bring him or her to court.? Ordinarily, these warrants are only issued in criminal cases. You can find out if you have a warrant by contacting your county sherrif's office.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/23/2013
    Paul Richmond | Law Office of Paul Richmond
    2023 E. Sims #263
    Port Townsend, WA 98368
    (360) 379-5575
    It varies somewhat from area to area. It is helpful to know that Court's procedure. There may be procedures where you can show up and get it taken care of. They may want you to go into custody, but then will have a procedure where you can likely be released and go forward with the case. A lot might turn on the circumstances Available for Representation and Consultation.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/23/2013
    Tonya Meehan-Corsi | Liebler Connor Berry & St. Hilaire
    1141 N. Edison, Ste. C
    Kennewick, WA 99336
    (509) 735-3581
    It depends on the type of case. If you failed to show up for criminal case in which you are the defendant, you will like get a warrant issued against you and may later be charged with bail jumping. Contact a criminal law attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 4/23/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.