Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What happens when there’s a warrant for my arrest in one state and now I live in another state?

I have an outstanding warrant in Michigan and moved to New York with my new husband last month. I haven't gone to get a new drivers license yet and I'm wondering if they do any kind of look up when I go to do that. Will they run my license? Will the warrant show up? Can I get arrested?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Well if you are stopped then they can detain you and see if Michigan wants to comes and get you. You should take care of the matter.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/18/2013
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You should retain a lawyer to surrender you on ht warrant and clear up the case before you get arrested, held for 90 days, and extradited to Michigan.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/18/2013
    Marshall Tauber | Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    39520 Woodward Ave., Suite 230
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
    (877) 682-8237
    Yes they will run a check. No, you will not be issued a New York drivers license & you will be told that you must first clear any outstanding matters you may have in Michigan before they will process your license request. No, New York will not arrest you if you go there but it is a total waste of time & effort to do so because of what is stated above.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/17/2013
    Eric S. Lumberg | Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg
    7001 Orchard Lake Rd.
    West Bloomfield, MI 48322
    (248) 626-8383
    A Michigan warrant could affect you. You will not be able to get your license Talk to an attorney to discuss your options
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/17/2013
    Mark A. Manning | Mark A. Manning, PC.
    213 Paw Paw Street
    Paw Paw, MI 49079
    (269) 657-3191
    It depends upon the level of your charge. If the warrant is for a felony level offense and a request is made by the arresting law enforcement agency in Michigan for extradition (transfer) to Michigan you can be held in the State where you are located. You would be asked if you voluntarily want to come to Michigan and if not an extradition hearing would be held. If the warrant is for a misdemeanor (lower level) offense, then you would not be subject to extradition to Michigan. Of course, if you came to Michigan and were stopped by the authorities, etc, you could be subject to being held and transferred to the county where your criminal case is pending.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/16/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.