Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What happens to someone who purchases stolen property unknowingly?

If stolen property is purchased, and the consumer of the stolen property finds out it is stolen, and brings it forward to police, will the police force the consumer to turn over the person who originally sold the property?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    Possession of stolen property is a crime, even if the property was purchased without knowledge that it was stolen. In such circumstances, as soon as the purchaser finds out that the property was stolen, I recommend that the purchaser retain legal counsel rather than have direct contact with law enforcement. Counsel can then turn the property over to the police without necessarily disclosing the client's name(which might incriminate the client). If the police discover the identity of the consumer, the police can obtain a warrant which would require the consumer to turn over any evidence (such as e-mails or telephone records) that identify the seller. Anyone who finds themselves in a situation like this would be wise to retain criminal defense counsel.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/3/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If the person knows who sold them stolen property then they should help the police. This person ripped you off by selling you stolen goods.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/2/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    You might be charged with possession of stolen property, regardless of whether in fact you broke the law. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 4/2/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    Probably, the police would like that information, as he or she has committed a serious crime, and you would not want to be accused of withholding evidence from them.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/2/2013
    John F Brennan | Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    24001 Greater Mack
    St Clair Shores, MI 48080
    (586) 778-0900
    A thief cannot transfer title, and therefore ordered is founded you are in possession of stolen property you actually have no property rights and it ended must be returned to its rightful owner. Your cause of action, if any, is against the person who sold you the stolen goods.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/2/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.