Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What happens to my ex-husband when he stops paying child support?

Is this a criminal charge if he stops paying and keeps missing monthly payments? What can happen to him? Can a judge force him to pay me? It has been about 4 months now and he won't return any of my calls.

    Springer Law Office, PLLC
    Francis Springer | Springer Law Office, PLLC
    1042 Gluckstadt Road, Ste C
    Madison, MS 39110
    (601) 605-5004
    He won't face a criminal charge. The judge will deal with him if you bring it to the judge's attention. You should consult with an attorney soon for specific advice.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi - Replied: 4/30/2013
    Mark A. Manning | Mark A. Manning, PC.
    213 Paw Paw Street
    Paw Paw, MI 49079
    (269) 657-3191
    If there is a court order in effect to pay child support the Friend of the Court can see the Court issues an Order to Show Cause. Chronic and extensive arrearages can become a criminal offense for non support.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/30/2013
    Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto
    Jeffery L. Fanto | Law Offices of Jeffery L. Fanto
    8040 Allen Road
    Allen Park, MI 48101
    (313) 610-6047
    Failure to pay child support can result in criminal charges. Typically, the matter is investigated on a civil basis. You and/or the friend of the court may ask the court for a show cause hearing to see if he should be found in contempt for nonpayment. It is possible that his drivers license and professional licenses, if any, may be suspended for failing to pay support.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/29/2013
    Patrick S. Fragel
    Patrick S. Fragel | Patrick S. Fragel
    3281-C Racquet Club Drive
    Traverse City, MI 49684
    (231) 933-7030
    Many people fall behind on Child Support periodically. However, those who ignore the Order to pay child support will be held in Contempt of Court. If they don't catch up, the Court will eventually give them some jail time to encourage speedier payments. Eventually the Prosecuting Attorney will issue a criminal complaint for failure to pay child support . This is usually a last-measure, but if convicted, it is a felony to fail to pay child support.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/29/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Contact the Friend of Court office if you have a court ordered support order. He can be held in contempt, and he could be eventually lodged, driving privileges taken away among other consequences. The FOC should file.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/29/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB SITE IS A GROUP ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. It is not a lawyer referral service or prepaid legal services plan. Total Criminal Defense is not a law firm. Your request for contact will be forwarded to the local lawyer who has paid to advertise in the ZIP code you provide. Total Criminal Defense does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who participates in the network. It does not make any representation and has not made any judgment as to the qualifications, expertise or credentials of any participating lawyer. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The information contained herein is not legal advice. Any information you submit to Total Criminal Defense may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. All photos are of models and do not depict clients. All case evaluations are performed by participating attorneys. An attorney responsible for the content of this Site is Kevin W. Chern, Esq., licensed in Illinois with offices at 25 East Washington, Suite 510, Chicago, Illinois 60602. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here or call 866-200-8052.

FLORIDA ONLY: Total Criminal Defense is considered a lawyer referral service in the state of Florida under the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct. By all other standards, Total Criminal Defense is a group advertisement and not a lawyer referral service.

If you live in Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here