Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What happens if you are underage and you get caught with open alcohol container in your car?

I'm so close to turning 21 and I just got busted during a traffic stop with an open alcohol container (that wasn't mine). It was my friend's fifth of alcohol that he left in my back seat when I was the designated driver for him at a party. What is going to happen to me?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    You could be convicted of a minor in possession likely you will receive some probation and a fine and cost. Consider retaining an attorney to see if you can have this charge deferred. If you do not have funds for an attorney see if you qualify for the court-appointed attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/21/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Probably probation.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 1/18/2013
    Victor Rivera | Rivera Legal Group, PLLC
    1011 Surrey Lane
    Flower Mound, TX 75022
    (214) 646-3236
    It does not matter how close you are to 21 because you were caught with the open container when you were under 21. The punishment will be a Class C misdemeanor which is punishable by a fine up to $500. In addition, as a minor, you will be required to do community service (8 to 12 hours. 1st offense; 20 to 40 hours. 2nd offense.) and your driver's license will be suspended (1st offense - 30 days; 2nd offense. 60 days; 3rd offense - 180 days). The suspension takes effect on the 11th day after you are convicted. Finally, you must attend an alcohol awareness program approved by the Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Hire a lawyer, who can probably negotiate with the Judge to get this relatively minor charge dismissed.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Well you want to get a lawyer to fight this since you did not know that the booze was there. It is a criminal offense. It could get your license suspended.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/17/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.