Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What happens if you are charged with a felony in a different state than the one you live?

I got a preliminary hearing coming up and I was wondering if it is an absolute requirement that I show up. We were partying and the party got busted while I was in possession of controlled substance.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    You should retain a good criminal lawyer and try to get it dismissed. I think you are aware that you must appear as they either gave you a Desk Appearance Ticket or you were already arraigned by a judge and told to appear on that next date. If you fail to appear the judge will issue a bench warrant and you will be a fugitive from that state.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    If you do not show up then you will have a warrant issued against you and even the cops in another State could arrest you on it and ask the first State to come and get you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    If you do not show, a warrant will be issued.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/24/2013
    Phil Hache | Law Offices of Phil Hache
    15303 Ventura Blvd., 9th Floor, Suite 900
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    (818) 336-1384
    In California, it is generally a requirement for a defendant to be personnally present at hearings when there is a felony charge. Speak to your attorney you hired (or hire an attorney in the area of your court) to see if the court can make some kind of special circumstances exception.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/24/2013
    Lori Beck | Law Office of Kevin C. Flesch
    333 W. Hampden Ave., Suite 710
    Englewood, CO 80110
    (303) 457-0635
    Yes, you need to show up or a warrant will issue for you arrest. You should retain legal counsel in that state if you cannot make it back.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado - Replied: 1/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.