Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What happens if the victim doesn’t want to press charges?

I got into a minor physical altercation at an amusement park and security called the police. I was arrested because I "initiated" the physical contact. Since that I've talked to the other guy and we've settled our differences. He doesn't want to presss charges and drop the whole thing. How do we do that?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    The victim does not have the power to "drop charges" but if you have no record, he was not hurt, and he tells the prosecutor he wants to see that you are given a break you will get an ACD dismissal or Disorderly Conduct violation and a fine, counseling, or community service. Retain a good lawyer to handle this minor assault and you will get a good disposition.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 3/2/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    You should be very careful about talking to the victim of a crime where you are the defendant. Could be taken as dissuading a witness. Hire an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/1/2013
    Gregory Casale | Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    316 Main St, Suite 400
    Worcester, MA 01608
    (508) 752-7500
    There is a way to have all criminal charges dropped if you and the alleged victim are in agreement. It is called Accord & Satisfaction. Ask your lawyer about this. You should not attempt to do this on your own. A lawyer will ensure that it is binding and properly executed. Also, it is only possible under a straight simple A&B charge, which is a misdemeanor. If it is an elevated charge such as aggravated A&B or A&B with a Dangerous or Deadly Weapon, the Accord & Satisfaction cannot be used. There are ways to still accomplish this but again, you will need a lawyer to figure out how. If you are eligible for and execute an Accord & Satisfaction, the charges are dropped and are not supposed to enter on your CORI (Criminal Record).
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 3/1/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Once a police report has been made, the allegations and charges are sent to the District Attorney to determine whether to file charges with the court. The decision to file charges, reduce charges, prosecute a case or dismiss a case is solely at the discretion of the District Attorney or Prosecuting Attorney. If the "victim" wishes to have the charges dropped or dismissed, he/she should talk with the D.A. However, the final decision will be up to the D.A.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/28/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    46 Lovejoy Rd
    Andover, MA 01810
    (978) 807-6512
    It is now in the hands of the state speak to his attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 2/28/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.