Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What does an illegal detainment consist of and is what happened to me an illegal detainment?

I was sitting in a parked car in front of my girlfriend's house waiting for her to get home from work. A detective pulled up and asked what was I doing. I let him know I was waiting on my girlfriend to make it home from work and she lives in the house I am sitting at. He asked where did I live and did I have any I.D. I told him my address and gave him my I.D. He then asked did I have any warrants, I said no. He then said he would only check for warrants and let me go and that is it. He then told me to get out of the car and started to search me. He then made me take off my shoes and nothing was found. He then starts to put cuffs on me. I asked what are you doing this for, I don't have any warrants. He said not to worry and he will let me go once he has run a check on me. He then put me in the back of the police car and closed the door. He starts to search my car while his partner searches the trunk. After searching the entire car, he came to the police car and said he found something under the floor mats under the driver seat. He never ran a check on me, so was this legal? I never gave consent to search my car. Anything that I did was by force and not by choice. So was this illegal detainment, because I would have left if I wasn't detained. Was being hand cuffed and put in back of a police car when I haven't broken any law legal?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    You fail to say if you were charged with an offense for the item found under your floor mat. If so, you should have your lawyer file a motion to suppress that illegal evidence seized. You should win that case. As for filing a civil suit if not arrested or charged, you need to consult with a civil attorney to determine the practical manner in proceeding with a potential civil rights violation case, if any exists.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 7/15/2014
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.