Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What do I do if I as found guilty of abuse and neglect but did neither?

In Dutchess County Criminal court I was found guilty of abuse and neglect of an elderly aunt. I did neither. I was found not guilty of manslaughter but guilty on these 2 other charges. I was represented by a young lawyer from who, I think, did her best but was, by her statement maybe "inexperienced". The crime was supposed to be Mothers' Day 1913. I have been through hell since but I am hanging in for justice.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Maurice Ross | Barton Barton & Plotkin
    420 Lexington Avenue
    New York, NY 10170
    (973) 896-7190
    You can appeal the decision of the trial court. You might want to hire another lawyer with more experience for the appeal. You must file a notice of appeal within 30 days-otherwise you lose your right to appeal. You could also ask for habeas corpus relief on the ground that you received ineffective assistance of counsel, but I doubt that you could prove that your counsel was ineffective. Note that your question is quite broad and vague. Without knowing more facts, I cannot make a judgment as to the likelihood that your conviction could be overturned on appeal. Certainly, the prosecution must have presented some evidence to support the claims of abuse and neglect. What was that evidence? Why was it deficient? What evidence did your lawyer develop to contest the charge? That you were acquitted of the more serious charges might mean that your lawyer did an excellent job. Also, however, there might be an inconsistency between the acquittal on manslaughter and the findings of abuse and neglect. Also, as a practical matter, I am surprised that a case like this went to trial. Most cases result in a plea bargain. Or perhaps this was a plea bargain? Without knowing many more facts and details it is impossible to advise you with precision. You need to immediately retain legal counsel. If you don't have the funds for this, then you need to raise the money from family and friends-lawyers don't work for free and legal assistance is expensive.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 10/16/2014
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.