Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What constitutes domestic violence?

Must you be married or in a relationship for a crime to be considered domestic violence? A female roommate of mine is claiming domestic violence because she got in the way while I was fighting with a third, male roommate.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    If you are living with someone, who is not even a relative, that is sufficient for it to be considered domestic violence. This even goes so far as ex-girlfriends or spouses, who are not even living with the accused anymore.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 7/10/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    Penal Code 273.5 pc Corporal Injury to a Spouse or Cohabitant Penal Code 273.5 makes it illegal to inflict a "corporal injury" resulting in a "traumatic condition." A person commits this crime by striking his/her intimate partner in some violent way and causing a visible injury, even a slight one such as swelling or a bruise. This California domestic violence law can be charged if the alleged victim is a current or former spouse or cohabitant or the parent of your child. Penal Code 243(e)(1) pc Domestic Battery Penal Code 243(e)(1) makes it a misdemeanor crime to inflict force or violence on an intimate partner a category that includes your fiance, cohabitant, the parent of your child, or your current or former spouse or dating partner. Unlike Penal Code 273.5, this California domestic violence law does not require a visible injury.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 7/10/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Domestic violence covers anything that happens among housemates or people in a relationship.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 7/10/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    You must be in a relationship, or it must be your relative.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 7/10/2013
    Thomas E. Gates | Gates' Law, PLLC
    651 Strander Blvd., Suite 209
    Tukwila, WA 98188-2953
    (253) 332-7899
    The more touching of another (including their clothing) is Assault 4 if they found it offensive. A marriage or relationship with Assault 4 is a DV. Your fight with the male roommate could be considered domestic violence. The circumstance of the female getting hit needs more information.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 7/10/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.