Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What can you do when someone used your name after committing a crime and now it is disrupting your life?

As an African American, it is "normal" for our young men to be harassed, arrested and given charges (profiled), what do you do when you have charges that someone else committed but used your name? The judge won't listen and the free attorney forgets he even met with you. What can you do when America really could give less than a damn about you as a Black American and all they want to do is get you? How do you find an attorney who is really in for justice and not just for the money? How does one get help?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    Unfortunately there is a backlash against hippies, bikers, minorities, young men, and others who commit a disproportionate amount of crimes. Bikers will get stopped, searched, harassed, and arrested more than businessmen, old ladies, and girl scouts. You are not going to change the world, police, or the law. All you can do is dress like a respectable citizen, stay away from high crime areas, follow the law, and don't have contraband in your pocket or vehicle. If you are the victim of identity theft or someone used your name it is easy to prove as you will look different, have different birth dates, different prints, etc., but that is assuming they have the other person. If they only have you it is more difficult and may involve witnesses, an alibi defense, computer records, and your lawyer should be doing everything possible. Just as some people will get harassed, poor people have to use free doctors, free lawyers, and live in public housing which is usually not as safe and clean as high rise luxury buildings, but you get what you pay for. Get rich and get even. Work and study hard to become part of the upper classes and you wont have these problems, Obama did it, Chris Rock did it, and you can do it too.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/23/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You have to figure out if you were even around at the time of the offense. (Alibi Defense) Also maybe the cops etc. will realize that it is the wrong person. It depends on the facts of the case.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/31/2013
    Robert Scott | Law office of Robert D. Scott
    PO Box 247
    Mount Rainier, MD 20712
    (301) 864-8611
    The Maryland State Bar Association may be able to refer you to competent representation.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/30/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Not all attorneys have the attitude you think we do. Most of the public defenders I know work very hard for their client and I have not yet met one where race is a consideration.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/30/2013
    Daniel Levy | Raff & Raff, LLP
    30 Church Street
    Paterson, NJ 07505
    (973) 742-1917
    Believe it or not, this is probably not a racial issue at all. You just have a bad lawyer. I see this all the time with people of all races. The judge will never just hear you say that "it wasn't me - someone was using my name" and then dismiss the case. Anyone can say that. However, it is the State's burden of proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Just because your name is on the paperwork does not mean that they have any proof about anything. Do they have witnesses? Are there photos from the time of the arrest that show someone who isn't you? If it really wasn't you, then there probably isn't any evidence proving that you are guilty. You should really consider hiring a private attorney who will fight for you.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey - Replied: 1/30/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.