Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What can I expect from my first B&E charge if I have a clean record previously?

I was caught yesterday "breaking and entering" into an abandon building. I was in the building taking photographs, and upon exiting the abandoned building, the police were waiting by my car. The police said that I was not allowed in the building and that I was trespassing. I was ticketed, and charged with B&E. Since the building was abandoned and I didn't damage anything, I was not arrested, but still need to appear in court.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Joseph I. Silverzweig | Midway Law
    150 N Main Street
    Heber City, UT 84032
    (435) 659-7380
    Breaking and Entering is a not a crime in Utah. There are two crimes which your conduct may have been sufficient to give you potential criminal liability; those crimes are Criminal Trespass and Burglary. Burglary requires that you enter a building with the intent to commit theft, a felony, or some other crimes. If there are no other facts apart from what you have told me, it does not sound like you are guilty of burglary. Criminal trespass, on the other hand, is a lower level crime which only requires either that you had the intent to cause annoyance or fear, the intent to commit a crime that did not amount to burglary, or that it was obvious that you were not allowed to be on the property (such as a high fence or a no trespassing sign). Violation of this statute is a class B misdemeanor, which carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. If it is your first offense, you are likely to be assessed the fine and not the jail time. You may also be able to plead the crime down to a C misdemeanor, which carries an up to $750 fine.
    Answer Applies to: Utah - Replied: 4/4/2013
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    If you have no priors and had a camera with you the prosecutor may dismiss the case or offer a violation. You made a very poor decision, next time follow the law.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 4/4/2013
    Ernest Krause | Attorney at Law
    6805 Flamingo Way
    Sacramento, CA 95828
    (916) 422-6006
    Good chance the case will disappear.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/4/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    You may be charged with B&E, burglary and/or trespassing. Under the facts you submitted, it may be possible to have the case reduced to a trespassing infraction. I suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/3/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Of you were in just taking pictures and did not mean to steal or destroy anything then a good attorney may be able to get the matter reduced or dismissed. Maybe they can work out a deal for no criminal record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 4/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.