Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What can I expect at a docket call after an arrest for theft by check?

I was arrested for return check and I am out on bond. I have to appear at a docket call and I don't know what to expect. I can't afford a attorney. Will the court let me pay out the money I owe?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    You cannot pay out the check that you owe if a theft is involved. Request representation by a court-appointed attorney don't try to handle this one yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/23/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/22/2013
    B. Elaine Jones | The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    P.O. Box 2664, Brandon
    Brandon, FL 33509
    (813) 681-8383
    Dear Sir/Madam - the Docket is just where you are arraigned. At that Court hearing you enter a plea and request a public defender if you can't afford a private attorney. If it is your first offense, the State will likely offer you a Misdemeanor Intervention Program. It generally entails a class and some probation. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area and you wish to have a further consultation please contact me at the email address or telephone number attached to this response.
    Answer Applies to: Florida - Replied: 1/22/2013
    Andrea Storey Rogers |
    P.O. Box 21686
    St. Louis, MO 63139
    (314) 724-5059
    At the docket call, you will be asked if you are pleading guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty, you will be convicted and you will have to pay restitution (pay back the amount you stole). If this is a misdemeanor charge (less than $500), the potential sentence is up to 1 year in jail plus a fine of up to $1,000. That conviction will stay on your record permanently. If you plead not guilty, the judge will set your case for trial. You will need to hire an attorney to represent you to keep this off your record. If you can't afford to hire a private attorney, then ask the judge to appoint a public defender.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri - Replied: 1/22/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    The court will want to know whether you want a trial. If convicted, then the court would hear from you regarding sentencing issues such as mitigation and allocution.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/22/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.