Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What can I do if I’m being charged by my neighbor with assault and I didn’t touch him?

My neighbor claims that I threatened his life. We were having a heated conversation and a lot of things were said, but at no point should he have interpreted that his life was in danger. His son was sleeping with my daughter, who is 17. His son is a punk and rolls with a really nasty crowd. I told him that I wanted his son to stay away from my daughter, and he gave me a lot of resistance.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Lisa Mulligan | Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
    14900 Interurban Ave. S., Suite #271
    Seattle, WA 98168
    (206) 707-9361
    How awful! A threat to someone's life is not legally considered an assault in Washington state, but instead a "Harassment." A threat to simply harm is a misdemeanor, and a threat to kill is a felony. However, you should speak with an experienced local attorney to get a better idea of how to defend yourself, since it sounds like there are some important facts on your side that the State may not be aware of.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 2/27/2013
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    Retain a good lawyer and refrain from communicating with him as this will violate the order of protection. You must learn to communicate with others in a calm, non-violent way and avoid threats as people will retaliate with violence, false complaints to the police, or other retribution. His son is not committing a crime as your daughter is at the age of consent. You should have addressed the matter in a oilite way and tried to make an aly, not an enemy. Your best option was to convince your daughter which would have probably been difficult as young people do not take good advice and are at that rebellious age.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/16/2013
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    Its more likely you will be charged with making terrorist threats if there was not physical contact. That doesn't mean you will be convicted, that's why we have attorneys and courts to determine the truth.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/10/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Your neighbor, as a civilian, cannot charge you with anything. Only the DA. If neighbor's son is sleeping with your 17 year old daughter and if she is below the age of consent, not sure what state you are in, then report the kid to the cops. She cannot legally consent.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 2/8/2013
    Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq., | Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis
    131 Main Street, Suite 270
    Hackensack, NJ 07601
    (201) 342-5030
    Is the charge pending in Municipal Court? You would have to speak to the Prosecutor and explain What was going on. Question is does he claim that he was in fear of his safety. If he hit you or made made threats you could file a cross Complaint as a possible strategy in the hope that when you both go to Court he would agree to drop his Complaint if you drop Your case.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey - Replied: 2/8/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.