Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What can I do if I want a different public defender but the court is making me accept the first one?

I was appointed a public defender to represent me in a criminal court matter and I feel that she dose not have my best interest in mind. The court is making me accept her as my attorney even after I requested that she be removed from my case. What can I do?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    If you can identify specific things he has not done (including contacting your witnesses or sitting down with you to discuss your testimony which would be too late if not done the day of trial) you can make what is called a Marsden motion after a Supreme Court case of that name. It is difficult to have a court appointed attorney replaced and can only be accomplished by reciting such specific failures or a complete breakdown in your ability to communicate with the attorney assigned the case. If you have already made such a motion and did not do it properly you could try to renew it. Your only other alternative would be to try to hire your own attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 8/5/2014
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Unfortunately, you do not get to choose who your public defender is. Your only alternative is to hire a private attorney to defend you.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 8/4/2014
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Cough up some dough and hire yourself a "real" lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 8/4/2014
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.