Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What can I do if I missed my court appearance date?

I had to miss my court appearance for shoplifting because I went out of town for a funeral, and I wasn't sure how to let the judge know. Now I'm nervous about going home (I'm still out of town staying with family). What should I DO?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    Your lawyer could have gotten you an adjournment or you might have been able to call the clerk but now you will have a bench warrant. Have your lawyer surrender you on the warrant and make better decisions in the future. Get expert advice before you make important decisions.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    46 Lovejoy Rd
    Andover, MA 01810
    (978) 807-6512
    Go to court with a lawyer and explain this to the judge. It should not be a major problem. Do this as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 1/27/2013
    Gregory Casale | Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    316 Main St, Suite 400
    Worcester, MA 01608
    (508) 752-7500
    Hopefully you have a lawyer for your charge. If not you should. You should speak to your lawyer and let him appear with you when you go back to court. You will have a warrant for your arrest for not appearing. The police will not likely come looking for you for a shoplifting charge, but anytime you bump into the police and the run your name, you will be arrested for the warrant.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Get proof of the funeral and that you were there and bring it with you to court.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    Call the court to see if your court date was rescheduled or can be rescheduled. Otherwise, you may have to go back to the docket room be bonded out and receive a new court date. An attorney might can get this resolved for you by filing appropriate motions.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.