Submit ZIP Code

Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What can I do after getting arrested for breaking and entering into my girlfriend’s place?

I have been living with my girlfriend for about three years. I moved from New York to come live here in Illinois with her. Although we have been living in separate apartments, we spend a lot of time at each other's place. She has a ton of stuff at my place and I have a ton of stuff at hers. We both have keys to each other's place. We broke up over the weekend and I went to her place, using my key, to retrieve my things, specifically my computer for work. She called the police on me and I was arrested for breaking and entering. How is this possible? I thought we were handling this break up maturely and I am entitled to my own property. I didn't call the police on her when she went to my place to get her stuff.

    Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    Technically, you should have been arrested for criminal trespass to property, not burglary. 20/20 hindsight tells me you should have asked the police to go with you to her place to recover your items, but it is too late for that. ?Hire a good lawyer, who might be able to resolve the matter for you, by getting the felony burglary counts either dismissed completely, or at least reduced to trespass.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/23/2013
    Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
    Vincent C. Machroli | Law Office of Vincent C. Machroli, P.C.
    High Point Plaza
    Hillside, IL 60162-1949
    (708) 449-7400
    A skilled criminal defense attorney would need to discuss this matter with you in greater detail, & ask you many questions, before he/she could give you the proper legal advice you seek (& possibly a quote to represent you). Schedule a consultation ASAP. Once the case is resolved to your satisfaction, you'll be glad you paid the money to hire her/him & properly protect your legal rights.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 4/22/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB SITE IS A GROUP ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. It is not a lawyer referral service or prepaid legal services plan. Total Criminal Defense is not a law firm. Your request for contact will be forwarded to the local lawyer who has paid to advertise in the ZIP code you provide. Total Criminal Defense does not endorse or recommend any lawyer or law firm who participates in the network. It does not make any representation and has not made any judgment as to the qualifications, expertise or credentials of any participating lawyer. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The information contained herein is not legal advice. Any information you submit to Total Criminal Defense may not be protected by attorney-client privilege. All photos are of models and do not depict clients. All case evaluations are performed by participating attorneys. An attorney responsible for the content of this Site is Kevin W. Chern, Esq., licensed in Illinois with offices at 25 East Washington, Suite 510, Chicago, Illinois 60602. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement, please click here or call 866-200-8052.

FLORIDA ONLY: Total Criminal Defense is considered a lawyer referral service in the state of Florida under the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct. By all other standards, Total Criminal Defense is a group advertisement and not a lawyer referral service.

If you live in Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here