Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What is the best way to plead on a shop lifting charge?

I got busted for shop lifting, under 50 bucks. If I plead guilty can I get a fine and community service or something and move past this? I did it and don't have a problem owning up to it but will pleading not guilty get me less of a penalty? I just want to do what I need to do to fix my mistake and move on.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    If you knew the consequences before you decided to steal from the store it might have made you decide that it was not worth risking jail, a criminal record, and the embarrassment just for $50. You will get a public defender and he will get you an ACD if it is a first offense. You will get shoplifting school or community service and you will not have a criminal record this time. You are a good person and you must make good decisions and consider the consequences. You have learned a valuable lesson and I am sure it will never happen again and you can now get a good education, a job you love, and be happy and successful with a lot of hard work and study.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 3/9/2013
    Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    74-075 El Paseo, Suite A-14
    Palm Desert, CA 92260
    (760) 779-9666
    If you plead guilty you likely will receive probation and a fine.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/20/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    You do not get to pick the punishment, the prosecutor and the judge will decide that. You can ask about a plea offer, and IF you like it take it, knowing that it will remain on your record. If you are looking for better, then you will need to retain an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 1/18/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    You plead NOT guilty. If you plead guilty you are being stupid. You give up all bargaining power. If you have no prior theft offense then you want to get a lawyer. They may be able to work out a deal for you having no theft conviction on your record. This is huge. A record is FOREVER. WHAT EMPLOYER WANT TO HIRE A THIEF?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/17/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    Whether to plead is ultimately a personal decision. Many people seek a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney to help them decide. Consider whether the prosecution has enough evidence to prove the charge, and what the prosecutions plea offer is. If it were for the maximum penalty, then there would be no bargain in it, and a person might take the chance that the state doesn't prove the charge.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/16/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.