Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What is the best way to fight against an assault charge if I was defending myself?

Got into a bar fight. I didn't start it but I was defending myself and admit to hitting the guy. The police came and arrested us both but I don't know what happened to the other guy. There are witnesses that saw the altercation and can confirm he hit me first. Do I need an attorney for this or is it possible that I can get out of this mess by just telling the truth?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    As long as you were not the first aggressor, and as long is you did not use more force than that with which you were confronted, then you might have a self defense argument.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    If the assault charge is filed in court, you will need an attorney. Your attorney has the skills and resources to find and present the witness statements to the DA and the court. If the case goes to trial then your attorney will keep out evidence that is not allowed and will present evidence to support your view on the incident. He has the skills to cross-examine the DA?s witnesses and to get your story from your witnesses.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/15/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Get an attorney and get that person the names of the witnesses. Prosecutors hear that the other person started it all the time and tend to insist on trial.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    There are not enough facts to be able to tell you how to proceed. The safe approach is not to say anything to the cops before talking to an attorney. You can wait to see if, after the DA reviews the police reports containing witness statements, he decides you were acting in self defense, and charges the other guy only. If charges are filed against you by the DA, you should definitely talk to an attorney. You may have to litigate whether or not you were simply defending yourself.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    You need a lawyer for this, and you better have witnesses available to testify for you at trial. It sounds to me that you can assert the affirmative defense of self-defense.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 1/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3 4 5
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.