Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

What are my ways to get my charges be expunged from my records?

Had issues with opiates in my past. I’ve been clean for nearly 2 years. Over dosed 2 Christmas ago. So paramedics were called. Along with police, I was later charged with possession of a controlled substance. In the 7th degree, I was placed on 3 years probation. Served half my term. Being released early due to good behavior. Wondering on how to get this charge expunged from my records. My dream is to become a New York state trooper. Taking the exam on the 19th. So please any advice.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    New York does not allow expungment of criminal convictions. The State Troopers may not allow you to become a member based on your drug conviction.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 10/9/2013
    Thomas E. Gates | Gates' Law, PLLC
    651 Strander Blvd., Suite 209
    Tukwila, WA 98188-2953
    (253) 332-7899
    You need to petition the court to expunge your record. You can find the necessary form online.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 10/8/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    You need to have successfully completed the entire term of probation, have nothing criminal pending, and not be on probation for any other offense(s). Contact a lawyer to file the petition for expungement on your behalf.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 10/8/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    California's expungement law permits someone convicted of a crime to file a Petition for Dismissal with the court to re-open the case, set aside the plea, and dismisses the case. In order for one to qualify for expungement, the petitioner must have completed probation, paid all fines and restitution, not served a sentence in state prison for the offense, and not currently charged with a crime. If the requirements are met for eligibility, a court may grant the petition if it finds that it would be in the interest of justice to do so. A successful expungement will not erase the criminal record, but rather the finding of guilt will be changed to a dismissal. The petitioner then can honestly and legally answer a question about their criminal history, with some exceptions, that they have not been convicted of that crime. What is actually stated on a record is that the case was dismissed after conviction. It never erases the record, and still states one was charged and convicted along with how much time was served. If the petitioner is later convicted of the same crime again, then the expungement will be reversed. Exceptions, where disclosure is required, are set out in the statute: "the order does not relieve him or she of the obligation to disclose the conviction in response to any direct question contained in any questionnaire or application for public office, for licensure by any state or local agency, or for contracting with the California State Lottery." This means that if applying for public office, seeking any license from the state (real estate, stock broker, doctor, lawyer, etc.), or contracting with the California State Lottery, the conviction must be disclosed (although it can be disclosed as an expunged conviction). It is worth noting that applications to become a Peace Officer, while not mentioned in the statute, typically require disclosure of expunged convictions. It is also worth noting that with computers, internet, and the free-flow of information, that a carefully worded disclosure may be the best way to proceed, even if disclosure is not required under the statute.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 10/8/2013
    Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr. | Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    130 North Cherry #201
    Olathe, KS 66061
    (913) 764-9700
    You obtain an expungment in Kansas by getting an order for the expunement. To get an order, you file a petition for expungment along with the filing fee and potentially have a hearing on the matter. However, you have to satisfy the requirements of expungement, one of them being waiting a sufficient period of time before you are eligible. If I understood your situation correctly, you dealt with charges 2 years ago. That is not even close to long enough in Kansas.
    Answer Applies to: Kansas - Replied: 10/8/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.