Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Someone filed a bogus complaint on me, what can I do?

Someone said I was dealing pot from my house and I'm not! They came and searched my house, tore everything up looking for drugs and of course they didn't find anything. I think it was a neighbor who was mad at me for having a loud New Years Eve party. What can I do? Police said they're "keeping an eye" on me - and they are! I see cop cars outside my apartment all the time. I feel harassed by them. I know they're doing their job, but are they allowed to keep following me if it was proved that I'm not doing anything illegal? Can I be arrested at anytime even though they didn't find anything? Should I get an attorney?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    I would get an attorney if I were you and sue them for raiding your house. They had to have had a search warrant and that is discoverable. If they did not have probable cause and a warrant then they may be liable for damages. I assume that you did not consent to the search.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/11/2013
    Craig Andersen | Andersen Law PLLC
    10000 NE 7th Ave Suite 330B
    Vancouver, WA 98685
    (360) 397-0111
    If someone filed a false police report, that's malicious prosecution and you can sue them for it. You might want to hire a civil rights attorney to deter to the police from undue harassment.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 1/7/2013
    John F Brennan | Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    24001 Greater Mack
    St Clair Shores, MI 48080
    (586) 778-0900
    Until you have identified the person who made the false report, there is little if anything you can do. If you are not engaged in any illegal activity the police will eventually lose interest in you. You have a potential defamation claim if someone intentionally filed a false report.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/7/2013
    Brendan M. Kelly | Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    1700 Farnam Street, Suite 2820
    Omaha, NE 68102
    (402) 455-1711
    Fight the ticket with a lawyer and win.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska - Replied: 1/7/2013
    Timothy J. Thill | Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    261 E. Quincy ST
    Riverside, IL 60546
    (708) 443-1200
    You should go to the station and have a discussion with the chief, supervising officer, and inform him that you want any police harassment to stop. You can contact a lawyer and see if you have any cause of action for a violation of your Constitutional rights by illegal police conduct.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois - Replied: 1/7/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.