Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Should my minor son have an attorney at a detention hearing?

My son was caught in possession of a loaded handgun at a friend's house by police. We are told by the Probation Office that a public defender will not be assigned until after the detention hearing. He has no prior record and is a good student. Can we get him out or is it totally up to the judge? Does he enter a plea without representation?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    He should have an attorney now and if you can afford it I would not rely on the public defender.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2015
    Edward J. Blum | Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    3699 Wilshire Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 479-5322
    Yes. If he can't afford one a public defender will be appointed.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/13/2015
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.