Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Should I turn my boyfriend into the police if I know he stole from someone’s house?

A couple weeks ago a house 2 streets down from me was robbed. I read in the paper about it and some of the things that were taken. Last night I was at my boyfriend’s house and I found a couple of the items. I asked him about it and he got real mad and told me to shut up and forget I saw them. I don’t want my boyfriend to get in trouble but I also know the family that was robbed and how upsetting the robbery was for them. Can I get in trouble if I know he robbed them and I don’t say anything?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Richard Williams | Law Office of Richard Williams
    301 Government Street, Suite 104
    Mobile, AL 36602
    (251) 272-3765
    You are committing a criminal act if you are aware of a crime that has occurred and you fail to report same.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama - Replied: 1/5/2013
    Cynthia Henley | Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    7626 E. Jordan Cove
    Houston, TX 77055-5053
    (713) 222-1220
    That is your decision but if you benefit in any way, you could wind up in trouble, too. You could also get into trouble if the police find the property in your home.
    Answer Applies to: Texas - Replied: 1/2/2013
    Craig Andersen | Andersen Law PLLC
    10000 NE 7th Ave Suite 330B
    Vancouver, WA 98685
    (360) 397-0111
    No you have no duty to report a crime. However, your boyfriend broke the law and harmed someone else in the process. Worse yet, he could get shot the next time he decides to break into a home. So it is up to you to do what you believe is right bearing in mind, his behavior could get him killed.
    Answer Applies to: Washington - Replied: 1/2/2013
    Richard Blumenfeld | Richard Blumenfeld, Attorney at Law
    3877 Twelfth Street
    Riverside, CA 92501
    (951) 965-0998
    You could be prosecuted as an accessory to the theft, but only if you actively help to conceal it. Simply doing nothing, including not informing on your boyfriend, would not make you an accessory. Making false statements about it to the authorities, for example, giving him a phony alibi, would probably be enough. In any case, it's never a good idea to talk to the police about something like this without a lawyer. You might get yourself jammed up.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/2/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    Be reminded that if you know, you could be charged with failing to report or although a stretch, interfering. I understand your quandry, and you need to look out for you and what you believe is the proper thing to do. I have seen not saying anything come back and bite the person.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/1/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.