Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Should I appeal a decision if I was pressured into pleading guilty?

I'll admit that a big part of the problem is that I didn't have a good attorney and that I only had a public defender. They offered me a deal which sounded like a good idea until finding out later that it really wasn't a good idea. They threatened me with all sorts of legal terminology and it sounded like it was going to be real bad for me if I didn't take the deal.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    John J. Carney | The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    401 East 34th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    (917) 696-2363
    First of all, you should have retained a private lawyer. Second, I do not know anything about the case, the offer, the strength of the prosecutor's case, or whether you could have won the trial or gotten a better plea. You may not have had a choice since you were not going to get a better plea and perhaps you confessed making it hard or impossible to win a trial. Most people consent to a search, make statements or confess, or are caught red handed and this takes the bargaining power away from their lawyer. How can I tell you if you made the right choice unless I know the facts of the case? You say "they threatened me". Who is they? Do you mean more than one person? What threat did they make? If they told you that you could not get a dismissal or violation, had to take the misdemeanor or be convicted of the felony at trial, were guilty, and could go to jail if you lost the trial but were offered probation to take the misdemeanor that is not threatening you, it is explaining your options. Some people just do not understand, others refuse to admit their guilt. Some defendants have to blame somebody else so they blame their lawyer, the police or the victim. Some people regret having a criminal record but that was better than the other options open to them. Other people foolishly tell their lawyer, "You are niot fighting for me!" just because they are not getting the plea that they expect when that plea would never be offered under the circumstances. Talk to a good criminal lawyer for a second opinion and if you made a mistake and were actually pressured your new lawyer can make a motion to withdraw the plea.
    Answer Applies to: New York - Replied: 2/24/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    Without knowing all the details of the plea then I can't tell if it was good deal or not. And many public defenders are the best criminal defense attorneys that you can get.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/26/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    The judge asks before sentencing something to the effect that your plea is voluntarily. You now cannot say it was not, generally.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/24/2013
    Phil Hache | Law Offices of Phil Hache
    15303 Ventura Blvd., 9th Floor, Suite 900
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    (818) 336-1384
    It may be possible for you to file a motion to withdraw the plea to open the case back up. Note that time frame to file one of these motions for the most part is limited after you are convicted. Speak to an attorney in your area to see if this is a viable option for you. Note that this is different than an appeal.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/24/2013
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    The prosecution stating what it might do in an effort to impose legal consequences if a defendant does not plead guilty is an exception to the requirement that a voluntary plea be free of all external threats.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/24/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.