Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is truancy illegal?

Is it technically illegal to skip school (public)? Or is it something dealt with within the school system? My child has been skipping school repeatedly and I want to know if it's possible for him to get in trouble with the law, or if it would just be trouble with the school.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    He can get in trouble with the law and be locked up in a juvenile facility.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 6/6/2013
    James Elliot McIntosh | Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh
    419 Main Street
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 742-9572
    You and your child both can be prosecuted.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/6/2013
    A. Bowden Houser | The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
    1007 Hargett Street
    Jacksonville, NC 28540
    (910) 333-9679
    In North Carolina, it can be both trouble with the law and / or the school - depending on the degree of skipping. NC law doesn't make skipping school directly illegal but rather makes attendance a requirement. So by default if the child skips, they are not in attendance and are violating the attendance requirement - it is a very subtle distinction. Further, you as the parent, can be held criminally liable and be fined and / or jailed for your child skipping school. This presents a big problem for parents of high school age children who have basically lost control over them.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina - Replied: 6/5/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    He would be in trouble with the law and so may his parents.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 6/4/2013
    Darrell B. Reynolds | Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C.
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Suite D
    Decatur, GA 30033
    (404) 636-6616
    The short answer to your questions is yes to both.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 6/4/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2 3
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.