Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is the three strike law in every state?

I got 2 felonies in Minnesota. One in 1987 and other in 1998. Now I'm live in California and got arrested for aggravated assault. Will I convicted under the three strike law?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    It depends on whether the priors in Minnesota are serious are violent felonies as defined under California law. A good certified criminal law specialist would have to research their legal requirements called elements to tell you specifically. If you can afford it I would hire a good one.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/8/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    It is possible. It depends if the Minnesota laws are the same the CA laws involved and if they are CA strikes.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/7/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    Out of state convictions can be charged as priors and strikes if they qualify. You'll learn the actual charge[s] filed and any enhancements, priors, strikes, or violations alleged, and get copies of all the police reports and prosecutors evidence when appearing for arraignment at the first court hearing. The charges actually filed by the prosecutor will determine how much time could potentially be imposed. Priors and strikes will add formal penalty enhancements and affect the prosecutor and judge attitude toward you. If this constitutes a probation violation, factor those new violation charges and old deferred sentence[s] in as well. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or elsewhere are going to effectively help in a legal defense. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/7/2013
    Alin Cintean | Dudek & Cintean, LLP
    201 Spear Street
    San Francisco, CA 94105
    (415) 946-4020
    This can get complicated. The simple answer is that in order for the California DA to allege the prior out of state convictions as strikes, they have to show that those crimes meet the statutory definition of the California's equivalent strike charges.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 3/7/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.