Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is there any way I can give the police evidence to help someone else but not incriminate myself?

Without too many specifics here is a general summary. A group of guys were involved in a robbery and only some of them got arrested. One of the kids that got arrested did not know what he was getting involved in. The group of guys got dropped off at the house they were robbing and the driver parked down the street outside a relatives house. Then one guy that was in the house called this other kid saying he needed a ride, could he come pick him up. Basically he didn't want any of his friends license plates involved in case they were seen. So this kid came to pick up and apparently a neighbor had already called the police and wrote down his plate so they tracked down the car and everyone in it got arrested. Some others including myself ended up just going down the block into the car we came in and going home. I feel bad for the kid that really didn't know anything about the robbery and I'd want to help him but I don't want to incriminate myself. Is there a way to do this?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    William L. Welch, III | William L. Welch, III Attorney
    111 South Calvert Street
    Baltimore, MD 21045
    (410) 385-5630
    No one can say for sure what the state might do with your information. Know that anything that you say to law-enforcement might be used as evidence against you. You should seek a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. You should not say or write anything else about what you have or have not done.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland - Replied: 1/17/2013
    Jeff Yeh | Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    3810 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1110
    Los Angeles, CA 90010
    (213) 446-2495
    Bad idea my friend. You will 100% end up incriminating yourself.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    No there is not. Unfortunately. Unless the prosecutor gave immunity.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Perhaps. But I think you will need to go through an attorney. You can guess what direct involvement would result in. Nice of you to make the offer. Might consider giving up the balance of involved for benefit of yourself and the not guilty kid.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    I don't think so, unless some of the other guys who were arrested give statements to that effect. Pretty lousy thing to do to someone, frankly. So, you have a choice to make: stay silent, let your friend face the music and don't get yourself in trouble, or, talk to the police, incriminate yourself and perhaps your friend goes free.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 1/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.