Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it a violation of my child’s rights if her school questioned and threatened her for hours before calling me?

My child was held at her school and questioned and threatened for 3 hours before the school called me. The principal and police detectives were involved in the interrogation. Was my child's rights broken?

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    This answer depends on why she was questioned and what all the circumstances were.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 9/30/2013
    Lawrence Lewis, PC | Lawrence Lewis
    242 Culver Street, Suite103
    Lawrenceville, GA 30045
    (678) 407-9300
    Your child has no constitutional rights inside of the school.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia - Replied: 9/26/2013
    Eric Sterkenburg | Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    16478 Beach Boulevard, No. 329
    Westminster, CA 92683
    (562) 477-6940
    Your child has no rights to a parent's presence before questioning. The police can arrest a child without informing the parent. However, the parent must be immediately notified by the probation office or prosecuting attorney. Children have the right to remain silent. Many people, both children and adults, are convicted because of what they say to police. Law officers can, and do, lie when questioning suspects. There is no right to bail in a juvenile hearing. Even if a parent wants to post bail for his or her child, the law does not permit it. A child may be released into a parent's custody. The decision is up to the police and the probation officer, with the presiding judge having the final say. Any child under 18 years old must be housed in juvenile hall and not housed with adults. A child has the right to an attorney. It is up to the child?s parents to select which lawyer to use.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 9/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.