Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it possible to reopen a case and fight it even after charges and sentencing have already been done?

I was accused of and charged with battery. I claimed it was in self defense, but I was still charged and sentenced. I have completed my sentencing and would like to fight the case as I feel I was wrongly charged.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    B. Casey Yim | B. Casey Yim
    1511 Kings Rd
    Newport Beach, CA 92663
    (949) 645-1516
    Were you "convicted" of the crime? Can't tell from your description, but it sounds like you were, since you say you completed the sentence. If you were found guilty, or plead guilty, you can't appeal now. Only qualification is if you were represented by counsel, and were given improper information by the atty (ineffective assistance of counsel). Most "plea" deals have a "record" a mile long, showing that you understood the charges, their effects, and that you were waiving your due process and rights to a jury trial, etc., etc., etc. Chances of getting any of this reversed are "slim and none", and "Slim left town."
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/5/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    You needed to do that before you plead guilty.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/4/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. How did your case end? Did you enter into a plea agreement? Did you go to trial and were found guilty by a judge or jury? I strongly suggest that you contact a criminal defense attorney experienced in post-conviction relief for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/3/2013
    Terry Nelson | Nelson & Lawless
    2134 Main St., #130
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648
    (714) 960-7584
    No. Closed is closed. You don't get do overs.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/3/2013
    William S. Kroger | Kroger Law Group
    8888 Olympic Boulevard, #204
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211
    (323) 655-5700
    You have six months to file a motion to vacate. You probably need an attorney to do it. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.