Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it possible to get off the Sex Offender Registry or to seal a conviction?

I plead to CSC 3rd degree. Since then I have married and have three children with my so-called victim. PLEASE HELP.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    5005 Lapeer Rd
    Burton, MI 48509
    (810) 743-2960
    CSC 3 is nonexpungable. Sorry.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 6/2/2013
    Mark A. Manning | Mark A. Manning, PC.
    213 Paw Paw Street
    Paw Paw, MI 49079
    (269) 657-3191
    This is a tough one. Technically a CSC conviction, I believe is not allowed an expungement or to be set aside. However, I have handled several cases similar to what you seem to be outlining where the offender may have been young, say 17 and his girl friend, etc was 15 or younger (younger than the age of consent) and a criminal conviction entered. They subsequently marry, have children and go about their life, but the criminal conviction remains on his record. Assuming you don't have any other criminal convictions which would hamper the process, there is a possibility based upon the cooperation of the prosecution to set aside the conviction. Once again, there is no promise and it depends upon many factors but it has been done.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 5/31/2013
    Michael Dungan | Dungan, Lady, Kirkpatrick & Dungan PLLC
    503 South Jackson Street
    Jackson, MI 49203
    (517) 783-3500
    It sounds like you may meet the "Romeo and Juliet" provisions for getting off of SORA. Basically, if you were convicted for having sex with a girl under 16,and you were not more than 4 years older than her at the time, you can petition the court for removal from SORA. Just google "Michigan Romeo and Juliet law" and you will see numerous articles. Whether the CSC 3rd conviction can be expunged is another question. It will depend on if you have any other convictions for anything, the county, the judge, the prosecutor, etc. If you are eligible for removal from SORA, get a good lawyer that practices in the county where you were convicted. You should also get a Master Driving Record, $8.00 at the Secretary of State, and your criminal history from the Michigan State Police website (ICHAT), you will need a credit card and it will be charged $10.00, and have a lawyer review those for your eligibility for expungement. CSC 3rd typically cannot be expunged, but a good prosecutor and judge may be willing to get creative with you since you ultimately married and have a family with "victim" from that case.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 5/31/2013
    Stephanie M. Service | Kronzek & Cronkright, PLLC
    420 South Waverly Road
    Lansing, MI 48917
    (517) 886-1000
    It is possible to get off the Michigan sex offender registry in certain circumstances. The law allows for certain offenders to petition the court for removal from the registry, and I have assisted my clients with this process. Not all attorneys know the ins and outs of the new Sex Offender Registration Act provisions.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 5/30/2013
    Sally Hamblin | Hamblin Law Office
    4015 W. Houghton Lake Drive
    Houghton Lake, MI 48629
    (228) 224-7120
    It may be possible but many elements of the crime and ages must be reviewed. It is not an easy process and needs to be done with precision. Some attorneys may charge up to $3000. You can look around for a better fee.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan - Replied: 5/30/2013
Click to View More Answers:
1 2
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.