Got a Quick Question?

(120 characters remaining)
100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Is it possible for someone to avoid jail time for first offense armed robbery?

My son held up a convenience mart and two police officers were walking by the location while he was holding it up. The gun wasn't loaded and he complied with the officer when they arrested him. Quite frankly my husband and I are very distraught over all of this and are not sure of where to turn for help or assistance. He has never had any other charges on his record, not even a traffic violation. We are pretty sure that he borrowed the gun off friends. He is 19.

Click here to get answers from a local criminal defense attorney
    Peter Goldscheider | Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
    438 Cambridge Ave. Suite 250
    Palo Alto, CA 94306
    (650) 323-8296
    Armed robbery with a gun usually will carry a mandatory prison term. You need an experienced criminal law specialist to represent him who can try to negotiate an alternative charge that does not require prison.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/24/2013
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    39300 Civic Center Drive #110
    Fremont, CA 94538
    (510) 792-5110
    It is unlikely he will totally avoid jail. This is a strike offense in CA and a robbery can be punished by up to 5 years in state prison. If the gun was real there could be an additional 10 years.? This is a serious case and he needs a zealous advocate to limit his jail or prison time.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/23/2013
    Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
    343 East Main Street, Suite 314
    Stockton, CA 95202
    (209) 463-9715
    Never heard of some person avoiding jail for a robbery.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/23/2013
    Mark A. Broughton | Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    2445 Capital Street
    Fresno, CA 93721
    (559) 233-5333
    I hope it is obvious that this is a very serious offense, one likely to lead to a prison commitment. The use of the gun - loaded or unloaded - is more serious than the theft itself. You need to hire a good criminal defense attorney for your son. He/she will get all the facts and be able to discuss the situation once he/she has a full understanding of what happened.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/22/2013
    Francis John Cowhig | Universal Law Group, Inc.
    430 S. Garfield Avenue
    Alhambra, CA 91801
    (626) 308-9936
    Armed robbery is a felony with a potential lengthy prison sentence. I suggest that you hire the best criminal defense attorney you can afford.
    Answer Applies to: California - Replied: 4/22/2013
Click to View More Answers:
Can't find the question you're looking for? Ask it?
Need personalized legal advice right now? Connect!

Disclaimer: The responses above do not form an attorney-client relationship. These answers may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Total Criminal Defense does not make any representation as to the expertise or qualifications of this attorney. These attorneys may or may not be admitted to state bar of your state.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.